Saturday, September 5, 2009

Back to school has always been in September



I was recently at Shoppers Drug Mart with my daughter and accidently walked through the aisle of..oh who am i kidding any aisle we walked in she "needed" something. So we got to the cuts and brusies aisle (dont know how they label it)..lol..and she spotted her "oh my God Mommy...please, please,please can i have those Barbie band aids????? So not to snap right away and say what my mother would have said..NO...i thought ok, let me get her the Barbie band aids just in "case" she needs them. Haha it wasnt until i saw how much they cost that my debating mode kicked in...i am not a "cheap" mother..lol..for this day in age but $3.99 for 10 band aids! My math is not that strong but i think that is 39c each band aid! So of course because i am a mother of today..i fold and get the band aids. Well, by the end of the day all those 10 band aids were gone! Lets see, "mommy my dolly had a boo boo, then her head hurt so i had to put another one." (but honey dolly doesnt talk, how do you know her head hurt..lol)..ok thats 2..where are the other 8? So of course my daughter had at least 5 on her own body because her pinky felt itchy so i needed one..I found one on the handle of the bathroom door, when asked why she placed 1 there?..mommy, the handle was slippery so it made less slippery..ohh...how can i be so dumb?? So just like that the pack was gone and if it just ended there it would be no big deal...but it never does. Barbie (or any Spongebob, Hello Kitty and i wont even get into Hannah Montana in this issue) is in every possile child product. I dont ever remember brushing my teeth with a Barbie toothbrush or toothpaste. We just used the great old minty flavour (they only had the 1 flavour back then) with no extra whitening crap.. plain old Colgate. We didnt have Dora wash cloths, lamps or carpets...nope, just plain old cloth for our bodies. My thermos...Mickey Mouse (not bad ey)...well that Micky thermos lasted me my whole elementary years. My mother's logic..why would i buy you a new one when this one still works?? I guess that makes sense now that i'm a mother..lol..but see you know who it doenst make sense to??...our kids. Every September we make sure they have the newest and latest item for Back to School. Napsacks..new. Pencilcase...new. Themos...new. You get my point. God forbid we send our kids back to school with the same character as the year before..what would the teachers think? or worse yet..what would our children think? On Tuesday my daughter will be fully equipped with a Barbie napsack, Barbie pencilcase, barbie thermos, barbie pencil even Barbie snacks! Going back to school for me and my sisters consisted of a trip with my mother to either Byway or Bargain Harolds, a short list on 1 piece of paper, the end result... a checkered pencilcase each, 1 pack of pencilcrayons each, a pack of 250 sheet paper, an eraser and a sharpener...thats it! But we were not different then any of the other kids because their mothers all shopped there too. We always had a brand new back to school outfit for the first day and a brand new pair of shoes. So i ask you this? was it so bad in the days that Barbie the Superhero was not printed on our napsack? Well, me and all 3 of my sisters graduated from elemantry, highschool and college unscaved..and imagine, we did it all without Barbie!

Thats my peace today!


Rice Balls
1 pack of Arborio rice
3 eggs
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1/4 shredded mozzarella
1/4 c chopped parsley
1 cup bread crumbs
20 1/2 in cubed mozzarella
20 raw peas
Oil for fying

Cook rice as directed by package. In a bowl add cooled rice, eggs, parmesan, parsley and shredded mozzarella. Make balls (size of small orange), roll in bread crumbs. Once all balls are made, stick cubed cheese and a pea through centre and roll ball again to hide hole.
Heat oil in deep pan with about 2 inches of oil so the balls are fully emmersed. Using a spoon turn the ball once to get all sides (about 6-7 min to melt the cheese).
(makes about 20 balls)



No comments:

Post a Comment