Monday, January 18, 2010

Home is where the family is

Many of you know, some of you don’t, but I am in the process of looking for a bigger home. Our family almost doubled since we moved back from Montreal and the home we bought just isn’t large enough to house the Villella clan.

I can honestly say we have been “looking” for a new home since the summer time. The twins are getting older and we realize we need to upsize (and we do not want fries with that). We just want a house; a larger house. I did not anticipate the amount of stress and confusion that was going to come with the house hunting process.

Since the beginning of the search we have changed our minds a million times. I have talked to everyone and their mother for advice and their opinions on new home vs. resale homes and I have received their input, and then some. Of course, everyone has their own story, advice and thoughts to the new vs. resale home and I thought I had the answer, but I am not sure anymore?

I would love a new home, we can get a 5 bedroom (which would fit our family needs perfect), we can choose the finishing’s and the kitchen cabinets, but it will be in a neighbourhood away from my kids school; and that is not what I want. When we began this search we decided that the proximity to the kid’s school was the most important aspect. But since then, my mind and decisions have gone astray.

Sometimes in life, when you ask too many people for their opinion, or advice it can back fire. Everyone has their own view and they love to share it, when they are asked. Some even like to give advice when you don’t even ask for it. Obviously, we all have different reasons for doing things and buying a house is not any different.

I did the whole pros and cons page. I did the whole why, when, where, what thing, but I am still confused. In fact, my husband and I are both confused. It is getting to the point where I am thinking of sending him to buy his own 1 bedroom condo because we won’t even need a bigger home when I kick him out..lol. This house hunting is causing marital disagreement and stress too. He wants new one day, and a resale the next.

The other night my father gave me his take on the whole situation. He said to me, “You have to do what is best for your family. If it means staying near the school they are comfortable with, and that you are comfortable with, then that is what you need to do.” He went on to say that as parents, it is our job to make all important decisions on the basis of our children.
On Saturday night I was at my parents house; sitting down on their couch. I began looking around at their newly renovated home that they bought over 30 years ago and raised all of us in, and the wonderful memories I have from this home. It got me to think about my house hunting. Do I want a brand new home that I can move into? Absolutely. Will I be just as happy in an older home that I can renovate myself? Absolutely.

It made me realize that it doesn’t matter what I buy for my family. It doesn’t matter what colour the tiles will be, or what colour the kitchen cabinets are; what matters is who will be living in the house. What will matter are the memories we will make in our house with my children. What will matter is the choice I make for them; and only them. The brand new smell won’t matter and the 5 inch stained strip floors won’t matter either. My kids will be happy wherever we decide to lay our hat. My family will be happy whatever decision we make, and whichever home we purchase. On Saturday night I realized and reaffirmed in my mind; a house is made of brick and mortar, but a home is where the family is.
That’s my peace today!

Corn Bread
2 cups flour
1 cup corn meal
1 package of yeast
2 cups warm water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil

Pour yeast in the cup of warm water, leave for 10 minutes (until frothy). In a separate bowl mix flour, cornmeal, salt and sugar. Make a hole in the center, pour the yeast water and oil. Knead dough on a floured surface. If you think you need more liquid because it is not forming into dough add water a teaspoon at a time, or if it is too sticky add flour a teaspoon at a time. Once dough is formed place in a large bowl and cover tightly with saran wrap and a damp cloth for over 2 hours. After 2 hours you may knead again, cover and leave for another hour. It can stay up to 8 hours covered. When you are ready, oil a pan and form dough into a bread shape,make slits on top, place in oven 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment