Monday, December 14, 2009

You come down from the stars

Last night I was unwinding after I put all the kiddies to bed and there was nothing on TV. I was flipping the channels and I found a special on PBS. There was a Christmas concert with Andrea Bocelli. It seemed like the only interesting thing on, so I decided to watch it. There was a song he began to sing that just brought back so many memories to me. It is called “Tu Scendi dalle stella” an Italian children’s’ Christmas song. Besides learning it in elementary school, it was a song my late grandfather would sing to us when we were growing up.

It made me sad. I thought about him and our past Christmas’ with him. He would stand up at the end of the night; all the grandkids would line up and get our Christmas money from him. He was so proud and happy to hand the money to us. This past July, it was 12 years ago he died. He was my maternal grandfather and he was a wonderful man.

This time of year we celebrate with our families but we also remember the people we lost. I am very lucky to still have both my grandmothers alive. I lost my paternal grandfather over 2 years ago. When you lose people you love, it is a very difficult part of life. We know it is something that happens, but when it does, it hurts. My good friend lost her father 1 year ago this month, and I know how difficult it has been for her. Losing a parent is something I just cannot imagine right now in this part of my life.

As we age we hear of people that are ill and they have passed. It is a fact that the older we get, the more people we must lose. It doesn’t make it any easier; it is just a shitty part of life. We put pictures in frames to see them, we go visit their tombs to see them, and we watch videos to remember the good times we shared with them. Life is a journey, and on the way we meet, we love, we learn and we must lose. We must know what it is like to love people that we will eventually say goodbye to.. for good.

Everyday life does go on. We have our children to make us smile and forget about it, but in our weakest moments in life we think of them. In our weakest moments of life we pray for strength from them, and in our weakest moments of life we pray for miracles from them. They are our angels, our protectors. They are our footprints in the sand, the ones that walk beside us in the hard times and the bad times.

Last night when I was watching the program with Andrea Boccelli (besides the fact that it was an amazing concert) and the beautiful touching ballads of Christmas. It brought me much sad and joy when I heard my childhood song. It is only fitting that the English meaning of that song is “You come down from the stars.” I didn’t know then, those many years ago when my grandfather would sing that song to me that it would someday be special, and that it would one day remind me that there is an angel in heaven for me and my family; a person that I love, that once loved me; a man that was once my “Nono”, a man that is now the star shining down on me. We all have those stars in our life, we never forget they are there; we just get reminded once in a while when we are living our own lives, making our own memories, singing songs of Christmas, that one day will be special to someone else.

That’s my peace today!

Almond Biscotti

1 cup blanched whole almonds, toasted and chopped coarsely
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract


In the bowl of your electric mixer combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat until blended (about 30 seconds). Gradually add the egg mixture and beat until a dough forms, adding almonds about halfway through. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a log about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide. Transfer log to baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30-40 minutes at 300 degrees, or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
Transfer log to a cutting board and, using a serrated knife, cut log into slices 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal. Arrange evenly on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, turn slices over, and bake another 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment