Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Life is what you make it

I have not written in a while. I can say that it's because I am busy, I can say that is because I had nothing to say (ya right..lol) or I can say it's because I didn't really feel like it? I am not sure why, but I am writing today.

Lately, or maybe not only lately. Maybe always and every day, I have been hearing bad things. So and so is sick, so and so got divorced, so and so said you are a bitch (you get the point)...and to be quite honest, i don't want to hear that stuff anymore. I think I have reached a point in my life where I just want to hear all the happy things that life has to offer. I have reached a stage in my life where it's not ok to purposely hurt another person's feelings. I don't like the feeling it gives me. I feel so much better when I see people happy and smiling (ok maybe not on my PMS days....bc those days I can just rip someone's eyeballs out..LOL). No, but seriously, isn't life too short to be angry?

Over the past few months , there have been several people that I know or that someone in my family knows, that has fallen ill. It is so sad, it is so horrible. But I have decided (although I pray for the families), I am choosing not to dwell on these things that we have no control over. "One sunny day erases 10 days of rain". This is so true. Think about how happy people are when the sun is shining and people are out walking and playing. This is what life should be all about, or at least..what we should want it to be about.

I am not naive enough to think that there will be never be sorrow, or that emotional pain can be far worse than physical pain, but for right now, and for today, I choose to be happy. I choose to do things that make me happy. I choose to be surrounded by people that are happy in their own lives.

There is far too much sadness in this world. There is far too much hatred in the world. There are far too many things in this world that are unfair. We watch the news, only to feel horrible. Kids getting hurt; countries getting bombed; the food we eat being recalled for dangerous bacteria. I am not saying we should not keep in touch with current events, I am just saying we should just keep them at arms' length and embrace the funny, happy, feel good stories. It just feels so much better.

We are all part of this race. We all begin at the "Start" line and we all end at the "Finish" line. Some people think that it doesn't matter how fast you run in the race, or how many times you fall in the race, or if you helped some other runner when they fell down in the race. But I think it does matter. I think it matters how many times you fell, because it felt all that better when you got up, I think it does matter if you cried the whole time running, or if you were too busy being angry the whole race. It matters.

When we die we leave a legacy. We leave an impression. We leave a history. A path that may be invisible to our eyes, but bold in the minds of all the people we love. We will be remembered by them for all the times they saw us laugh, and for all the times they made us laugh. And for all the times that we made that extra little effort to show them we loved them. This is what they will see and what they will remember.

In the past few weeks, my extended family have lost loved ones, and I know that the people left behind, are holding onto to all the wonderful moments that were shared on their run in the race. All the important days that were shared. They are holding onto all the things that made them smile. They are holding onto all the happy times and important times that made their lives so full filled. They remember the parts in the race that made it feel like time went by so quickly, because it was so special. These are the moments that are forever cherished and remembered. This I promise you.

I hope for myself, all my beautiful friends and of course.... my beautiful children, that we live a long, long, long life. I also hope for everyone, that we live a life full of love, a life filled with laughter, and a life filled with lots and lots of smiles. Because, life my friends...is what you make it.
That's my peace today!

Pickled Asparagus
2 bunches extra thin asparagus
1 part vinegar
2 part water
salt
3/4 c olive oil
3 cloves chopped up garlic
salt

Remove hard ends from asparagus, measure 1 cup vinegar, 2 cups water. Add to pot with asapagus. bring to a boil, salt water. Drain and dry completely on cloth. Meanwhile in a large bowl mix, mix oil, salt and garlic. Toss asparagus in oil and refridgerate.

2 comments: